Lissi's (Hi)story

Following the travelling empress

The Ruby-typical historic building of Ruby Lissi is a former convent from the 13th century, which was from 1301 on home to a congregation of the Dominican nuns. During the 15th century it was converted into a chapter of canonesses, which was then one of the richest monasteries in Vienna. In 1638 the building was completely rebuilt due to massive structural damages. The structure and frontage dates back to the 18th century.

The building’s time of origin is also reflected in the interior of the hotel, which was put together by the Ruby-internal design team with much attention to detail. Everywhere you can find fine details, especially in relation to travelling of the middle and end of the 19th century.

The travel-´theme was inspired by Empress Elisabeth, who held together a large empire during her reign, which is why she was travelling very frequently. Today, she is namesake of the new Ruby Hotel. Although commonly known as ‘Sissi’, insiders are aware that this is only due to a misunderstanding, Lissi is the traditionally used short from of Elisabeth in Austria.